Part 9 - 7.3.09

Arrival of the Removal Lorry

Monday morning, we were in the bank, setting up accounts for the boys, when my pocket started to vibrate and Nokia music burst forth from my chest. It was the call we'd been waiting for - the removal men, telling us they had boarded a ferry and would be entering the country on Wednesday. Fast forward to Wednesday and I forget what we were carrying but we were half way up the stairs, when Carl, the lorry driver rang to tell us they had cleared customs. Unfortunately, in spite of my numerous warnings, he was more than a little fazed by the presence of snow! The reason for his call was to find out if we had snow. Duh! We tried to explain that ALL of Finland had snow and that it was normal and not to worry but he was clearly not happy. We had several calls that day, during which we tried to convince him that our drive would easily accomodate his lorry but he didn't believe us and parked up overnight, awaiting a van to shuttle all the furniture with.

Well, I don't know what the Finnish team said to him, but the lorry suddenly arrived on our drive at nine o' clock on Thursday morning. All the men seemed cheerful and friendly and they began working to unload our car. That was where the first problem was. We're not quite sure why but my car battery was completely flat. There was no life in it at all and they couldn't start it. Again, I did warn them that the brakes don't work without the engine running, but what would the little (okay, not so little) woman know about cars? Well, Carl got in the driver's seat and the others pushed him onto the ramps. He obviously realised quite soon that the brakes weren't going to work and started the frantic search for the handbrake in the two or three seconds before he would have hit and probably knocked down next door's garage. I really wish I'd got a picture of his face. It was the funniest thing I have seen in ages! He missed the back wall of the garage by millimetres!

Carl was in for more shocks, when Neil came in and started unpacking boxes, whilst Josh and I changed all four tyres on the car. We had bought winter tyres so we could change them and drive away. Well, it was obviously the first time he'd seen a woman change a tyre and after that, he treated me with a bit more respect. Once we'd got the tyres on, they jumpstarted the engine and Neil took it for a drive to charge the battery. Interestingly, though the car battery was completely dead, the battery on my bike remained fully charged.

The rest of the day went remarkably well. They were a very pleasant bunch of chaps and did all they could to help. There was one young man - a student, earning a bit of extra cash - who apparently goes to our church and is good friends with Luke, our house group leader. Considering that the pentecostal church is in the minority here, we've met loads of people who are members. Anyway, it is wonderful to have chairs, sofas, beds and some kitchen equipment again. I'm still exhausted from humping boxes around, but it's beginning to feel much more like home now.

Go to the next page